Starting a day with a cocktail is generally frowned upon, but now there’s finally a semi-socially acceptable way to enjoy a boozy breakfast. Starting April 21, New York City’s The Doughnut Project is launching a five-weekend-long series of cocktail-themed doughnuts.
Inspired by cocktails from New York City hotspots like The Nomad Bar, Death & Company and The Bennett, the doughnuts translate each drink’s ingredients (including the liquor) into frostings, fillings and toppings.
According to Thrillist, the first doughnut to emerge from the fryer will be the Start Me Up, a cream-filled confection inspired by a cocktail at the Nomad Bar that features bourbon, rum, Strega, honey, ginger, lemon and orange bitters. While that may sound delectably dangerous, the doughnut we have our eyes on is the Everlasting Arms from The Bennett. Made with cachaça, pineapple, banana liqueur, falernum and gardenia mix, this tiki-tastic pastry absolutely sounds worth the five hour line to get one.
All we want to know is: Do they deliver?
Here’s the full cocktail—sorry—doughnut menu with the corresponding release dates:
- April 21-23 — The Start Me Up, inspired by a cocktail from The NoMad Bar, made with bourbon, rum, Strega, honey, ginger, lemon and orange bitters
- April 28-30 — The Everlasting Arms, inspired by a cocktail from Bennett, made with cachaça, pineapple, banana liqueur, falernum and gardenia mix.
- May 5-7 — The Starfish & Coffee inspired by a cocktail from Death and Co., made with Gosling's rum, Punt e Mes, cold brew, vanilla and tonic.
- May 12-14 — The Oh Snap! inspired by a cocktail from The Dutch, made with tequila, mezcal, lemon, snap pea and tarragon.
- May 19-21 — The Nor'easter inspired by a cocktail from Maysville, made with Old Crow Bourbon, ginger beer, lime and maple.