"All 80 students have confirmed that they ate at the Chipotle Restaurant in Cleveland Circle (Boston) during the weekend," Boston College said in a statement to CBS. "All have been tested for both E.Coli and the norovirus. Test results will not be available for at least two days."
The rash of illnesses come just days after Chipotle announced a commitment to become an "industry leader" in food safety, and Chipotle maintains there's currently no indication the outbreak was caused by a food item.
"To my knowledge, [health officials] have not linked any food item to this, and there may well not be a single ingredient that is the cause," Arnold said. "If this is a norovirus, as is the speculation, those are spread very easily and can be passed through person-to-person contact, surfaces, or food or dink. Because they spread so easily, norovirus is the leading cause of gastroenteritis in the US, with some 20 million cases annually, according to CDC."