These Onion Rings Are Stuffed With Cheeseburgers
More From $30 Dinner Party
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 5 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 1 cup Mexican beer
- 1 cup water
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 white onion, diced
- Corn tortillas, for serving
- Bring Dutch oven, or heavy-bottomed pan to high heat and add oil.
- In a large bowl, toss together the pork shoulder with salt, black pepper and cumin, then place in the Dutch oven.
- Sear the pork shoulder and flip to evenly brown both sides. Add chipotle, beer, water, garlic, and half an onion to pot, cover, and simmer, stirring occasionally, for about an hour or until the pork is tender.
- Uncover, and continue to simmer until the pork is easily shreddable, about 30-45 minutes. Use tongs or a wooden spoon to shred the pork.
- Serve with warmed tortillas, chopped white onion, slaw and a squeeze of lime.
- 1 pound dried pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 white onion, cut in half
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 chipotle in adobo
- 5 teaspoons Kosher salt
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- In a large, heavy-bottomed pot, cover beans with 3 inches cold water. Add half the onion and 2 cloves of garlic. Place over medium-high heat and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, add 1 tablespoon kosher salt. Simmer for 1 hour, or until beans are tender, adding more water if broth gets too dry. (You should have at least 1-2 cups of broth remaining for blending your beans.)
- Remove onion and garlic from the beans. Add beans, 1 cup of broth and chipotles in adobe to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Meanwhile, chop the other half of the onion and the remaining garlic clove. In a large skillet over medium heat, heat 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil. Add onion and garlic and cook until both are softened. Sprinkle cumin over the vegetables and stir to combine. Once onion and garlic are softened, but not burning, pour in bean mixture. Let fry until the sides begin to cake, then continue to fry and stir until they are the desired thickness. Taste and season with remaining 1 or 2 teaspoons of salt, depending.
Red cabbage slaw
- Juice of 1 lime
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- A pinch sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- ½ cup scallions, chopped
- ½ cup cilantro, chopped
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk lime juice, sugar, and oil together until sugar is dissolved. Add to the bowl: cabbage, scallions, cilantro, dressing, salt, and pepper and toss until vegetables are coated.
- 1 pint tequila
- 40 ounces Mexican beer
- 1 (12-ounce) tube frozen limeade concentrate
- 4 cups water
- Ice for serving
- Add all ingredients to a punch bowl and mix thoroughly. Serve over ice.