These Countries Get the Most Vacation Days
It seems like in every picture of France, everyone's living a life of relaxation. And that might actually be true, seeing how the French get more than 40 days off a year -- among the most of any country in the world.
According to data from the OECD, Center for Economic and Policy Research, and International Labor Organization compiled by cloud computing advisor GetVoip, France isn't the country where workers get the most vacation days; it's Brazil. The South American giant offers its employees a total of 30 paid leave days and 11 holidays for a grand total of 41 days off a year.
However, France was a close second, as it also offers 30 paid leave days and occasionally, 11 holidays. The French only scored second because not all of those holidays are required by law, meaning some lame French employers just don't participate. Malta and Iceland tied for third, both with a total of 38 days off.
According to the study, the countries that offer the least days off are Mexico (14 days), China (16 days), and Canada (19 days). But how does the US rank in all this? Well, out of the 40 countries ranked, the US stands at 34th. The data shows that Americans get 26 vacation days, combining 16 paid leave days and 10 holidays, though this could be a high estimate, as the study also points out that US law doesn't require employers to offer all those leave days or all those vacation days. How wonderful.
Check out the 10 countries with the most vacation days below, and be jealous.
10. Luxembourg - 35 total days. 25 paid leave days + 10 public holidays
9. United Kingdom - 36 total days. 28 paid leave days + 8 public holidays
8. Spain - 36 total days. 22 paid leave days + 14 public holidays
7. Norway - 37 total days. 25 paid leave days + 2 for religious practice + 10 public holidays
6. Sweden - 38 total days. 25 paid leave days + 13 public holidays
5. Austria - 38 total days. 25 paid leave days + 13 public holidays
3. Iceland - 38 total days. 24 paid leave days + 14 public holidays
3. Malta - 38 total days. 24 paid leave days + 14 public holidays
2. France - 41 total days. 30 paid leave days + 11 public holidays
1. Brazil - 41 total days. 30 paid leave days + 11 public holidays
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.