A grim reminder for anyone who loves eating raw fish: there's a chance it can provide you with an unwelcome guest in your bowels.
During a routine trip to the bathroom last August, a Fresno, California man reportedly discovered a five-and-a-half-foot tapeworm living inside him. According to Dr. Kenny Banh, an emergency physician at the University of California San Francisco's Fresno campus, the creature was the result of some tainted sushi the man ate.
Banh discussed the patient on the podcast This Won't Hurt a Bit, during an episode specifically about the barf-inducing topic of parasites. Hearing him recount the tale won't help you sleep with sweet dreams or encourage you to eat any kind of budget sushi in the future.
According to Bahn, the 30-year-old patient, who's remained unnamed in reports, went to the bathroom only to find what looked "a piece of intestine hanging out of me.” He then wrapped the parasite around a toilet paper roll and brought it into the emergency room for inspection, as you do.
We apologize in advance for the image that follows, because it is of the man's tapeworm.