After the lawyer's pants caught fire, he justifiably bolted from the courtroom, according to the report. Gutierrez said the fire's source was a faulty e-cigarette in his pocket. Thankfully, no one, including the lawyer, was harmed. Gutierrez was able to continue the trial with "a singed pocket."
After things settled, he insisted it wasn't a staged defense to prove a point about spontaneous combustion. That's good because it would have been a major miscalculation to think that example would ring louder than the "liar, liar, pants on fire" rhyme playing in the head of observers. Nonetheless, the Herald reports police and prosecutors are investigating the incident, saying "officers seized several frayed e-cigarette batteries as evidence."