Fast Casual Vegan Junk Food Is Now a Thing
- 1 orange, ½ cut into half moons, ½ juiced
- 1 grapefruit, ½ cut into half moons, ½ juiced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 bottle white wine (dry and light, like Vinho Verde or pinot grigio)
- 1 liter lime-flavored seltzer
- Add fruit to a large pitcher.
- Pour white wine into the pitcher.
- Give a stir and cover with plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate for at least 30 minutes, or up to overnight.
- When ready to serve, add seltzer to the pitcher.
- Pour sangria into glasses; scoop some fruit into each glass and then fill with sangria.
Winter citrus salad
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- A pinch of red pepper flakes
- 1 orange, peeled and sliced into rounds with peels reserved
- 1 grapefruit, peeled and sliced into rounds with peels reserved
- 1 lemon, peeled and sliced into rounds with peels reserved
- 1 head radicchio, leaves separated
- ¼ cup parsley leaves
- In a large bowl, whisk together any juice from the peels and any juice from peeling/slicing the citrus with red wine vinegar, sugar, and olive oil.
- Season with salt, cracked pepper and red pepper flakes.
- Add 3 tablespoons parsley and radicchio to the bowl and toss.
- Arrange the citrus and dressed radicchio on a platter.
- Garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley.
Linguine with mussels
- 1 pound linguine
- 2 pound mussels
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt and cracked pepper
- ¼ cup white wine
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- ¼ cup parsley
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 2 minutes less than the package suggests.
- Take out 1 cup pasta water. Drain pasta and set aside.
- In a large skillet over low, heat olive oil and melt butter. Add garlic, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and cook until the garlic begins to soften, but not crisp. Pour in ½ cup of pasta water, white wine, and lemon zest. Increase heat to medium-high and bring to a simmer, add mussels, stir and cover until they begin to open, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Once the mussels open, toss the pasta with the mussels, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons parsley. Garnish with remaining 1 tablespoon parsley and a sprinkle of red pepper flakes.
- Serve immediately.