Bell claims he dropped the scorpion onto his plate, only to pick it up again and get stung by the yellowish, 1 ½ inch-long arachnid. He then tossed it onto the cabin’s aisle, where a flight attendant trapped it under a cup. Bell crushed the scorpion with his foot, and flight staff then disposed of it in the bathroom.
The event was enough to induce a minor panic, as Bell and his wife used in-flight WiFi to Google everything related to scorpion stings and their symptoms and consequences. A nurse who happened to be onboard the flight gave Bell a pain killer to quell the sensation, which he likened to a wasp sting. When the plane landed in Calgary, EMS were already on site ready to take him to the hospital, where he was eventually told he was fine.