Literally everyone -- dog owners and sad non-dog owners alike -- should already know that chocolate is high on the list of foods you should never let all your dog to eat, because it can make them ill, and in some cases, kill them. But out of all the foods and other dumb things your furry companion gets his paws on in a given day, why is chocolate so damn bad? What's in that is so toxic? An informative new video from the American Chemical Society helpfully answers these questions -- all the way down to the chemistry.
For example, have you ever heard of theobromine? No, it's not something Rudy Huxtable errantly texted to her brother -- but it'll help explain why you've had to be so cautious with your chocolates and candies this whole time.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.
Tony Merevick is Cities News Editor at Thrillist and just wishes he had a dog. Send news tips to email@example.com and follow him on Twitter @tonymerevick.