The sale, which runs from now through January 18 (or while seats last), may be your best bet to travel abroad on a serious budget this year. The return flights for many of these routes aren't as rock-bottom cheap as $49, but when you consider the total round-trip costs, you're still getting a spectacular deal. You can scope out all the offers on the WOW sale page, but here are some of the best round-trip offers we saw.
- Boston to Brussels (roundtrip) for $198.99
- Boston to Dublin (roundtrip) for $198.99
- New York to Frankfurt (roundtrip) for $238.99
- New York to London (roundtrip) for $238.99
- Detroit to Dublin (roundtrip) for $198.99
- Detroit to Reykjavik (roundtrip) for $168.99
- Washington, DC to Brussels (roundtrip) for $228.99
- Washington, DC to Frankfurt (roundtrip) for $268.99
Of course, since WOW is a budget carrier, there's a bit of extra fine print to consider. All of these flights have a layover in Reykjavik, so unless that's your final destination, you won't find any direct routes. Also, the crazy-cheap $49 price only applies to the WOW basic fare, which only allows you to bring a personal item (you'll have to pay a bit more if you want to bring a carry-on, check a bag, or get a seat with more legroom). But frankly, even if you do end up forking over a bit more to bring a bag, you'd be hard-pressed to find a more affordable transatlantic trip this year.
Then again, if you'd prefer to head west instead, you may soon be able to score a pretty cheap ticket to Hawaii too.