Because the scariest thing to do on Halloween is absolutely nothing, tickets are now on sale for The Black Widow's Ball: the premier Pagan shindig from decadent country house party revivalists White Blackbird, who've taken over the entirety of 17thC hotel/mansion Stoke Place's 40 rooms & 26 acres for their Hammer Horror-nodding bash. Just some of the entertainment, feasting, and elaborate boozing on offer:
- The Gothic ballroom will feature a "Vampire Fang-dango" headed by striptease starlet Vicky Butterfly, who'll hopefully not start out with the caterpillar.
- Upstairs will see a Mummification Room (to fit guests w/ costumes), a nude portraiture salon (could be very scary), and burlesque beauty Millicent Binks as Queen Dracula, who'll be "bathing in blood and eating her suitors for breakfast", which is not very cheery, oh.
- There'll be a resurrection of the Thirteen Club (founded in 1881, it counts five US presidents amongst its members), who taunted superstition by breaking mirrors and dining under skull candelabras, though considering they're no more, it looks like superstition taunted back.
- The "Alcoholic Alchemists" will serve any request, or drinks they deem suited to your costume/character; the Secret Den will welcome you into its hopefully goat-filled "Pagan rituals"; and a punch bar'll serve vintage concoctions.
- Food-wise, there'll be a three-course bistro menu, or you can wait for the mysterious All-Black Midnight Feast, which promises a whole lot more than just Kiwis.
There'll be free transport to take you to and from London, as well as special room packages available, with breakfast thrown in and a "bar that never closes", so you won't be confronted with the most terrifying thing ever: a minibar cheque.