This Fried Chicken Sandwich With Sushi Rice Buns Is the Best of Both Worlds
Italian Beef Recipe
Total Time: Two days (30 minutes active)
Yield: 4 sandwiches
- 5 pounds rump roast with lots of marbling
- 1 head garlic, plus 2 cloves, minced and divided
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon, kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon, plus ½ teaspoon, freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- Several sprigs of fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 2 red bell peppers, cut into large, long chunks
- 2 green bell peppers, cut into large, long chunks
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1-2 large loaves fresh Italian bread
- 1 cup jarred hot giardiniera
- Preheat oven to 375℉.
- Season the roast with a head of minced garlic, 1 tablespoon salt, 1 tablespoon black pepper, dried oregano, fresh oregano, and red pepper flakes. Place it in a 6-quart roasting pan or Dutch oven. Pour 3 quarts of water into the pan (not directly over the roast). Bake for 1 to 1½ hours or until the center of the roast registers 150℉ on a meat thermometer.
- Let the roast cool to room temperature.
- Remove roast from the pan, wrap it in foil, and refrigerate overnight. Pour the broth through a fine-mesh strainer into a container and refrigerate overnight.
- The next day, transfer the broth and any fat into a wide pot. Bring to a gentle simmer (not boil) over low heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes to develop the flavor.
- In the meantime, make the peppers. Preheat oven to 350℉. Coat bell peppers with olive oil and remaining 2 cloves garlic, 1 teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Roast on a baking sheet for 30 minutes, until tender.
- Trim excess fat off the roast; cut across the grain into thin slices. Add sliced beef to the simmering gravy for an extra 20 minutes.
- Cut bread into 6-inch-long pieces. Cut each piece open from the side, leaving one edge attached. Stuff the bread with generous heaps of beef. Top with sweet peppers and spoonfuls of hot giardiniera.
- Using tongs, submerge each sandwich in the gravy for just a second. Let excess liquid drip off and serve immediately.