Deep Fried Grilled Crab Potatoes
- 5 large Russet baking potatoes
- Olive oil
- canola oil (for frying)
- 1 pound of fresh lump blue crap meat
- 12 ounces Muenster cheese grated
- Panko bread crumbs (unseasoned)
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 4 eggs
- 12 ounces of heavy cream
- 3/4 stick of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of all purpose flour
- Chives or scallions for topping and garnish
- Old Bay seasoning
- 1 shallot minced
- 5 cloves of garlic minced
- Rub potatoes down good with olive oil, and place on indirect heat of grill that is running at 350°F or into a 350°F oven. Grill or bake until potatoes are tender completely through. You can check this with a tooth pick. Will take around 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove potatoes and let cool enough so you can handle them. Cut each potato in half, and scoop out pulp and put into a container and set aside for now.
- Heat butter in a pan over medium heat. Add in shallot and garlic and sauté for around 3 minutes. Add in all purpose flour, and stir until thickened. Now add in half of the shredded cheese, and potato pulp that was scooped out earlier, and start to mix and blend in. Salt and pepper to taste at this point. Add in about 1/4 cup heavy cream and continue to mix. Keep adding in cream till you get the potato mixture smooth but not to wet.
- Now add in sour cream and mix in well. Dump the crab meat on top of the potato mixture, and season with salt, pepper, and old bay to taste, and fold crap into the mixture with a rubber spatula until well incorporated. Taste the mixture, and adjust seasoning before continuing. Set mixture aside for now.
- Take the potato skins and put a light dusting of corn starch on the skins, dip into a egg wash made of 4 eggs, and a few tablespoons of heavy cream. Now coat inside and out with a coating of the panko bread crumbs. The corn starch and egg wash will help keep the crumbs from falling off while frying. Now fry the potato skins in canola oil. Oil should be deep enough to completely cover the potato skins. Fry until golden brown and place on rack or paper towels to drain off excess oil.
- Fill each fried potato skin with the potato and crab mixture. Top each stuffed potato with shredded muenster cheese and more Old Bay seasoning. Place all the potato halves on a cookie sheet and return to the grill or oven at 350°F and cook for 25 minutes are until the mixture is completely reheated and the cheese is melted. Remove potatoes and plate. Sprinkle on diced chives or scallions.
- Dig in and enjoy!