Stop Your Hangover in Its Tracks With This Activated Charcoal Margarita
One tequila, two tequila, three tequila -- you know where we're going with this. If humankind weren't intended to suffer from post-margarita rampage hangovers, then why, pray tell, are margaritas so damn good? We honestly don't know, but what we do know is that this activated charcoal margarita by DrinksMadeEasy might be a revelation for you, dear agave enthusiast. Word on the street has it that charcoal eases hangover-induced doom, so why not drink it with your cocktail, right? If nothing else, you should do it for science.
Activated Charcoal Margarita
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 2 ounces tequila
- ½ ounce Grand Marnier
- 1 ounce lime juice
- ½ ounce lemon simple syrup
- Peels of 1 lemon
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- Dash of orange bitters
- ¼ teaspoon activated charcoal
- Lime wheel, to garnish
- In a small or medium saucepan, combine the peels of 1 washed lemon with 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of water. Bring the mixture to a simmer, then remove it from heat. Let cool, strain out the solids, and store the liquid in a Mason jar or other sealable vessel.
To make the cocktail:
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the tequila, Grand Marnier, fresh lime juice, lemon simple syrup, orange bitters, and activated charcoal. Shake vigorously, and strain into the cocktail glass over your choice.
- Garnish with a lime wheel and serve immediately.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.