This Apple-Bourbon Glazed Bacon Pie Is the Pie to End All Pies
Maybe you're in it for the crispy, loaded bacon; maybe you're in it for the apple-infused bourbon glaze; maybe you're just a diehard barbecue enthusiast -- whatever the reason, you need to try this easy recipe by 0815BBQ. It takes all of the aforementioned ingredients and combines them in one epic, apple-bourbon glazed bacon pie: a grilled masterpiece, boasting bold flavors through copious amounts of freshly grated cheese, juicy meat, and smooth, savory bourbon sauce. Keep calm and bacon.
Apple-Bourbon Glazed Bacon Pie
Total Time: 1 hour, 15 minutes
Yield: 1 pie
- 40 slices bacon
- Barbecue rub, to taste
- 4¼ pounds ground beef
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 16 ounces Gouda, diced
- 12 cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, grated
- 1 cup ketchup
- 1 can apple purée
- ¼ cup apple juice
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ¼ cup bourbon
- Heat grill to 400°F.
- Fan bacon slices out from the center of a large skillet, and sprinkle with barbecue rub.
- In a large bowl, combine ground beef, barbecue rub, diced Gouda, and diced bell peppers. Thoroughly mix and knead the contents with your hands.
- Fill the bacon-covered skillet with the beef mixture, patting it into place with your hands. Finish with cheddar, and fold the ends of the bacon over the pie, adding more slices to cover the top until the meat is fully enclosed. Sprinkle generously with more barbecue rub.
- Place the skillet on the grill, cover, and cook with woodsmoke at 400°F for approximately 45 minutes.
- Make The Sauce: In a medium-sized pot, combine ketchup, apple purée, apple juice, apple cider vinegar, soy sauce, and bourbon. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- Extricate the pie from the skillet, and set it back on the grill to cook over open fire for an additional 20 minutes. Half-way through, brush it with the apple-bourbon glaze.
- Finish with halved cherry tomatoes and grated cheddar, and serve.