It's Worth Getting Sloppy For This Grilled Cheese Taco
Baby Bloomin' Onions
- 10 baby sweet onions
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. dry mustard
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- canola oil for frying
- 1/2 cup hot wings sauce
- blue cheese dressing
- green onion
- Fill a tall pot with 2 1/2 inches of oil. Preheat oil to 350 ̊F.
- Cut off 1/8 inch from the pointed stem end of each onion, then peel carefully, ensuring not to peel through an actual onion layer.
- Place the onion, cut-side up and make a cross-cut through the onion, leaving the bottom stem intact. Continue cross-cutting through the onion until you have 12 evenly spaced cuts through each onion.
- Turn the onions over and use your fingers to gently separate the outer layers.
- Pour buttermilk into a small bowl. Set aside.
- Place remaining dry ingredients into another mixing bowl and toss together until well combined.
- Dip each onion into the buttermilk, shaking to remove any excess liquid. Quickly dredge each onion in the flour mixture, shaking off any excess. Repeat until each onion is double coated.
- Carefully drop a couple onions at a time into the hot oil, cut-side down, for 3 to 4 minutes. Flip and fry for an additional 2 minutes or until each onion is crisp and golden brown.
- Transfer onions onto a cooling rack or paper towel lined plate. Pour 1/2 cup of buffalo sauce over onions, sprinkle green onion, serve with blue cheese, and enjoy!