Twisted knows mornings can be rough, but with a little help from these bacon and egg breakfast muffins, you'll be ready to take on anything. Made with eggs, cheddar cheese, bacon, and scallions, you'll never skip the most important meal of the day again.
Bacon & Egg Breakfast Muffins
- 4 oz / 120 g bacon, chopped
- ½ cup scallions / shallots, chopped
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1¼ cups plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp baking soda
- ½ cup milk + ½ tsp white vinegar
- ½ tsp salt
- 5 tsp sour cream
- 2 tbsp melted butter
- 7 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease a 6 hole muffin tray with butter.
- Heat a non-stick pan over high heat. Add bacon and fry until lightly browned.
- Remove onto a paper towel to drain the fat, then set aside.
- Place flour, baking powder, and baking soda in a bowl and mix briefly to combine.
- Whisk milk and vinegar, salt, sour cream, melted butter, and one egg in a separate, slightly roomier bowl.
- Add the bowls of dry and wet ingredients together and whisk to combine (don't go too crazy here!).
- Fold through your scallions, bacon and cheese -ensure an even distribution or the muffins will struggle to come out of their holes.
- Spoon a dessertspoon of mix into each of the holes then, using a teaspoon, fashion an egg shaped divot in each. Encourage the mix up the side as best you can, so that the egg yolk settles in the middle and doesn't stick to the tin. Crack an egg into each hole. Divide the remaining batter between each hole to cover the egg. Gently smooth over to cover.
- Bake the muffins for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and allow to rest for 5 minutes before turning out onto a cooling rack.
- Eat up!
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.