Fact: Putting anything all up on some puff pastry instantly makes everything classier. Just imagine what British food would be without it (basically just sausage).
But stuff a classy round of Camembert cheese in a pastry and homemade bacon jam into a pastry shell and what do you get? Something that will make you forget you ever thought baked Brie was fancy. Also, you can use that bacon jam for anything. Even just eating by the spoonful in the dark. Here’s how it’s done.
Bacon Jam Pastry-Wrapped Camembert
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 24 slices of smoked bacon, diced small
- 2 white onions, diced
- 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
- 1 cup apple juice
- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tsp dark soy sauce
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 1 round of soft camembert
- 1 egg, whisked
- Apple slices, for serving
- Make your bacon jam. Heat a large skillet on high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add in the bacon pieces and fry them, stirring occasionally, until crisp. Add the onions to the pan and cook until translucent. Toss in the garlic and fry for 30 seconds.
- Add in the apple juice, apple cider vinegar paprika, cayenne, and soy sauce to the skillet and stir. Bring the mixture up to a boil, and then reduce the heat and simmer for 30 minutes or so, or until jammy. Remove from the heat.
- Spread a tablespoon of bacon jam on the center of puff pastry sheet. Then cut a small piece of the skin off the top of the camembert. Place the camembert, cut-side facing downwards. Fold the puff pastry around the cheese, using the whisked egg to bind the pastry dough.
- Turn the pastry-wrapped Camembert over and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Brush the pastry with the rest of the whisked egg and baked for 25 minutes at 350°F until hot and melty.
- Take out of oven and serve that bacon-y cheesy goodness with the apple slices.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.