This Mac & Cheese Quesadilla Has Bacon Tortillas
Ah, bacon: slayer of hangovers, best friend to breakfast sandwiches, and generally a good idea all the time. Adding it to macaroni & cheese isn't reinventing the wheel, but hear us out -- what if we told you it was possible to make a quesadilla out of macaroni & cheese, lovingly pressed between two woven bacon "tortillas"? Now that we have your attention, go forth and make the following recipe from Food Steez. You can thank us for radically changing your life later.
Bacon Mac & Cheese Quesadilla
- 2 packages bacon
- 1½ cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup sharp Cheddar, grated
- 1 cup Swiss cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat the oven to 350°degrees.
- Lay 6-8 strips of bacon vertically and flush against one another across a rimmed baking sheet or aluminum foil.
- Prepare another 6-8 strips to create the cross section of the weave.
- Fold every other strip in half onto itself, and then fold every other strip in the alternating columns. Repeat again with the first set of strips.
- Repeat steps 1-3 to create an additional bacon weave , creating 2 in total.
- Place both bacon weaves in the oven to bake for 15-20 minutes or until crispy.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil and add the macaroni elbows. Generously salt the pot and add approximately 2 tablespoons of olive oil.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan large enough to hold the pasta when it's done. Add the flour, stirring over medium heat until the mixture is lightly browned (approximately 1-2 minutes). Add the milk, whisking to remove any lumps, and then add salt and pepper as desired. Cook over medium-high heat until the sauce thickens and starts to bubble (approximately 6 minutes).
- Stir in the cheeses. Whisk until smooth and melted, and then remove from heat.
- When the pasta is almost done but still semi-firm, drain it. Add it to the saucepan.
- Remove the bacon weaves from the oven. Using a medium-sized bowl as a guide, cut out 2 same sized circles from the weave.
- Place one bacon “tortilla” down. Top it with mac & cheese, and the second bacon tortilla. Serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.