This Bacon Weave Crust Pizza is a Must
Life is better with bacon, so take a page from BBQ Tricks and make this pizza that uses a crispy bacon weave as the crust. Top it with crushed tomatoes, fresh mozzarella, basil, and some bacon sautéed with onions for a bacon lover's pizza dream come true.
Bacon Weave Pizza
Yield: 4 hearty slices
- 1 package bacon
- 3 tablespoons pizza sauce
- ½ red onion (thinly sliced)
- 3 whole (canned) tomatoes hand crushed
- 1 cup fresh mozzarella
- ½ green bell pepper (thinly sliced)
- fresh basil
- Weave bacon on parchment paper for easy handling. Use chilled or refrigerated bacon as it will be easier to handle and weave.
- Cut bacon weave square into a round using a second cover sheet of parchment and a medium to large bowl. Reserve trimmed bacon.
- Chop ¼ red onion and sauté with chopped remaining bacon until caramelized.
- Smoke bacon weave in smoker at 350 degrees F for an hour.
- Top bacon crust with additional ingredients. One initial thin bottom layer of cheese helps to minimize leaks and softness. Add fresh basil at end of cook.
- Allow 10 minutes to rest and allow bottom layer to firm up before serving.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.