Take Bahn Mi With This Pork and Pickled Veggie Grilled Cheese
Food Steez is putting a little Vietnamese twist on the classic grilled cheese with this pork loaded Bahn Mi grilled cheese, that's got carrots, daikon, jalapeños, cucumbers, and lots of gouda cheese for a heavenly grilled cheese sandwich that'll take your taste buds on a trip.
Bahn Mi Grilled Cheese
- FOR THE PORK:
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 2 tbsp. water
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- 1/2 lb. pork belly, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. fish sauce
- 1 tbsp. lime juice
- 2 tsp. Sriracha
- FOR THE GRILLED CHEESE:
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tbsp. butter, room temperature
- 2 cups havarti or gouda cheese, shredded
- 1/2 cup pickled carrots and daikon radish (squeezed of excess liquid)
- 1/2 cup cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 tbsp. Sriracha
- 2 tbsp. sugar
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- For the pork, Heat a pan over medium-high. Add pork belly slices and cook on both sides. Before it is fully cooked, add sugar, lime juice, water, fish sauce, pressed garlic, and Sriracha. Mix thoroughly and cook until it caramelizes and pork is cooked close to a crispy texture.
- For the grilled cheese, cut carrots and daikon julienne style. Slice cucumbers and jalapeños thinly and set aside. Add julienned carrots and daikon to a small bowl followed by 1 cup of water, 1 cup of white vinegar, and 2 tbsp. of sugar. Set aside for 20+ minutes and let mixture pickle.
- Heat a medium skillet or pan to medium heat. Add 2 tbsp. of butter to pan. Butter one side of bread and place buttered side down in to skillet followed by shredded cheese, pork belly, carrots, daikon, cucumbers, jalapeños, cilantro, more cheese, and Sriracha. Cover with remaining slice of bread buttered side up. Cook for about 5 minutes per side or until golden brown on each side.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.