This Maple Syrup Old Fashioned Will Appeal to Both Whiskey and Pancake Lovers
BEET AND RYE
Total Time: 2 hours; Active Time: 15 min.
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 1.75 ounces rye
- 3 beets, washed and peeled
- ½ ounce orange juice
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- Make your sage ice cubes. Fill a tray that makes six large ice cubes with water. Then place a sage leaf on top of each cube. Push the leaf down so that it gets fully wet and submerged. Place the tray in the freezer and allow the ice to form.
- Now make your sage simple syrup. In a small saucepan, combine the six remaining sage leaves, the sugar, and one cup of water. Bring it to a boil and then remove the pan from the heat and allow it to cool. Strain out the sage leaves and set aside.
- Make your fresh beet juice. Chop the beets and add them to a blender with the remaining cup of water. Blend well until the mixture is completely pureed. Strain the mixture through a cheesecloth in a bowl.
- In a shaker combine the rye, ½ ounce of sage simple syrup, ½ ounce of beet juice, the orange juice, and the lemon juice. Shake until well combined.
- Place a sage ice cube in a glass and pour the cocktail over it. Cheers!