Finally, a Recipe That Lets You Drink Beer and Still Be 'Healthy'
Yeah, yeah, we know -- you made a resolution to be healthier in the new year. And while we totally believe you, we also think you can, y'know, treat yourself every now and then, right? Which is why we politely suggest this recipe from Drinks Made Easy for a black pepper beertail. It's like a cocktail, but instead of liquor it's got beer, mixed with a few healthy ingredients: homemade apple cider (fruit!), lemon juice (vitamin C!), and freshly ground black pepper (not sodium!). Sure, we're probably grasping at straws -- which is convenient, since you're going to need one to drink this. Watch the video to see how it's done, and then go back to having it all.
Black Pepper Beertail
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces full-bodied wheat beer
- ½ ounce apple cider
- 4 apples, cored and cut into quarters
- 5 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1¼ tablespoons whole allspice berries
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
- Lemon peel or apple slice, to garnish
- To make the black pepper syrup, combine 2 tablespoons of black pepper, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes, and then use a fine-mesh strainer to extract and discard the solids.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of black pepper to the infused syrup, and store it in a sealable container. Allow it to steep overnight (up to 24 hours) before straining and discarding the solids again. The finished syrup should be black in color, with a few small bits of pepper. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks before discarding.
- To make the homemade apple cider, combine the apples, cinnamon, allspice berries, sugar, and water in a large, thick-walled pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly, and use a fine-mesh strainer to extract the solids, pressing down to extract all the juice. Let cool, store in a sealable vessel, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 1 week).
- To make the cocktail, combine 1 ounce of black pepper syrup, the homemade apple cider, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain the mixture into a cocktail glass.
- Float with wheat beer to the rim, and garnish with an apple slice or lemon peel. Serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.