This Brewery Is Hiring a Professional Beer Drinker
Black Pepper Beertail
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 4 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 6 ounces full-bodied wheat beer
- 4 apples, cored and cut into quarters
- 5 whole cinnamon sticks
- 1¼ tablespoons whole allspice berries
- 4 cups water
- 1 cup sugar
- ¼ ounce fresh lemon juice
- Lemon peel or apple slice, to garnish
- To make the black pepper syrup, combine 2 tablespoons of black pepper, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 cup of water in a medium-sized saucepan. Bring to a boil, and remove from heat.
- Allow the mixture to steep for 10 minutes, and then use a fine-mesh strainer to extract and discard the solids.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of black pepper to the infused syrup, and store it in a sealable container. Allow it to steep overnight (up to 24 hours) before straining and discarding the solids again. The finished syrup should be black in color, with a few small bits of pepper. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks before discarding.
- To make the homemade apple cider, combine the apples, cinnamon, allspice berries, sugar, and water in a large, thick-walled pot. Bring the mixture to a boil, and let simmer for 15-20 minutes. Let cool slightly, and use a fine-mesh strainer to extract the solids, pressing down to extract all the juice. Let cool, store in a sealable vessel, and refrigerate until ready to use (up to 1 week).
- To make the cocktail, combine 1 ounce of black pepper syrup, the homemade apple cider, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain the mixture into a cocktail glass.
- Float with wheat beer to the rim, and garnish with an apple slice or lemon peel. Serve.