Boozy Cherry Coke
- 1 oz. whiskey
- 3 cherries
- 12 oz homemade cola (soda machine + cola SYRUP)
- Cola syrup:
- grated zest of 2 medium oranges
- grated zest of 1 large lime
- grated zest of 1 large lemon
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon nutmeg, preferably freshly grated
- 1 section of a star anise pod, crushed
- 2 teaspoons minced ginger
- 1 one-and-a-half-inch piece vanilla bean, split
- ¼ teaspoon citric acid (available at health food stores, or canning supply stores or kingarthurflour.com)
- 2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon (packed) light brown sugar
- In a heavy pot over medium heat, bring 2 cups water to a simmer with the zests, cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, ginger, vanilla and citric acid. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer gently for 20 minutes.
- Strain the mixture, then bring the liquid back into the pot and add sugar, stirring occasionally until the sugar dissolves, about 15 minutes. Transfer to containers and keep refrigerated.
- Using a soda maker, create homemade cola by placing about 3 oz of cola syrup into seltzer maker bottle filled with water.
- In a food processor, crush about 2 cups of ice.
- Pour whiskey and soda in a crushed-ice-filled Collins glass. Re-pack crushed ice on top and pour a layer of grenadine and garnish with cherries.