George Washington Fought for Your Right to Make Boozy Red, White & Blue Snow Cones
The alcoholic version of this nostalgic childhood treat is made with rum, Blue Curaçao, and plenty of sugar to satisfy your sweet tooth. President Washington would've wanted it this way.
Boozy Red, White & Blue Snow Cones
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- crushed ice
- 1 cup strawberries, halved
- ¼ cup white rum
- juice of 1 lime
- ¼ cup blue curaçao
- Combine the sugar and water in a saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar, and then reduce to a simmer, and stirring cook for two minutes.
- For red syrup: Pour half of the simple syrup - about 1/2 cup - over the strawberries. Allow to macerate for 1 hour, then puree in a blender with the white rum. Strain through a fine mesh sieve and reserve.
- For blue syrup: Combine remaining syrup, lime juice, and curaçao. Stir to combine completely. Chill syrups until ready to serve.
- To make ice: Use a snow cone machine or blend ice in a blender (you may have to do this in batches, keeping each batch in the freezer as you make the next one.
- Scoop crushed ice into glasses, then squirt syrups over packed, crushed ice and enjoy!
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.