These Onion Rings Are Stuffed With Cheeseburgers
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 1 ounce white rum
- ⅔ ounce dark rum
- ⅓ ounce crème de cacao
- ⅓ ounce homemade falernum
- 1½ cups blanched almonds
- ½ cup peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 4 star anise pods
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 quart white sugar
- 2 quarts filtered water
- Overproof rum
- ⅔ ounce heavy cream
- 1¼ tablespoon coconut cream
- Grated nutmeg, to garnish
- Begin with the homemade falernum. Place the almonds in a large glass jar, cover with 1 quart of water, and seal. Let the jar sit, shaking occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the almonds. Discard the water and wash out the jar.
- Roughly chop the almonds and place them back in the jar. Cover with the remaining 1 quart of water and seal the jar again. Refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight), shaking occasionally to agitate.
- Place the cloves, allspice, and star anise in a large saucepan over medium heat. Toss to mix well. After 1 minute, add the almond mixture to the pan.
- Add the ginger and sugar to the saucepan, stirring continuously. When the mixture nears a boil, reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Clean the glass jar again.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let it cool. Once cool, add the lime zest. Stir.
- Pour the contents back into the glass jar. Seal and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a double layer of cheesecloth into a large measuring cup. For every 5 ounces of syrup, add 1 ounce of rum. Stir well to integrate. Divide evenly into fresh bottles, seal, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the cocktail, add the white rum, dark rum, crème de cacao, homemade falernum, heavy cream, and coconut cream to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg. Serve.