Swap Brandy for Rum in a Brandy Alexander, Become a Mixology Wizard
What's falernum, you ask? It's a tropical syrup-y thing that's likely in all of your favorite Tiki cocktails, and guess what: You're going to learn how to make it! At home! All on your own! It's all part of this Rum Alexander cocktail from DrinksMadeEasy (which is a take on a Brandy Alexander, except with rum. Surprise!). Show off your oh so impressive mixology skills at your next party, to the initial delight of friends who will inevitably grow tired of your beverage elitism. Hey, bragging rights are bragging rights. Watch the video to learn how it's done.
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 1 ounce white rum
- ⅔ ounce dark rum
- ⅓ ounce crème de cacao
- ⅓ ounce homemade falernum
- 1½ cups blanched almonds
- ½ cup peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole allspice
- 4 star anise pods
- Zest of 1 lime
- 1 quart white sugar
- 2 quarts filtered water
- Overproof rum
- ⅔ ounce heavy cream
- 1¼ tablespoon coconut cream
- Grated nutmeg, to garnish
- Begin with the homemade falernum. Place the almonds in a large glass jar, cover with 1 quart of water, and seal. Let the jar sit, shaking occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Strain out the almonds. Discard the water and wash out the jar.
- Roughly chop the almonds and place them back in the jar. Cover with the remaining 1 quart of water and seal the jar again. Refrigerate for 4 hours (or overnight), shaking occasionally to agitate.
- Place the cloves, allspice, and star anise in a large saucepan over medium heat. Toss to mix well. After 1 minute, add the almond mixture to the pan.
- Add the ginger and sugar to the saucepan, stirring continuously. When the mixture nears a boil, reduce the heat to low. Let simmer for 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Clean the glass jar again.
- Remove the mixture from heat and let it cool. Once cool, add the lime zest. Stir.
- Pour the contents back into the glass jar. Seal and refrigerate overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours.
- Strain the mixture through a double layer of cheesecloth into a large measuring cup. For every 5 ounces of syrup, add 1 ounce of rum. Stir well to integrate. Divide evenly into fresh bottles, seal, and refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.
- To make the cocktail, add the white rum, dark rum, crème de cacao, homemade falernum, heavy cream, and coconut cream to a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Cover and shake vigorously.
- Strain into a chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with freshly grated nutmeg. Serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.