South Beach Wine & Food Festival
Bruleed Pear Cocktail
- 1 pear, cut into thick slices
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 whole cloves
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 3 ounces rum
- 1½ ounces toasted pear simple syrup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- ½ ounce fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices of pear, to garnish
- Make the simple syrup: Put the pear slices, cinnamon sticks, and cloves in a nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Without disturbing the pear slices, toast them on one side for about 3 minutes or until they begin to turn golden brown. Flip and toast on the second side.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of the sugar over the pears and spices and stir until it begins to melt and caramelize. Carefully add the water and bring to a simmer, stirring until the sugar has dissolved. Continue to simmer for about 5 minutes or until the liquid reduces by half.
- Pour the syrup through a strainer into a glass jar or liquid measuring cup. Set aside to cool.
- Make the cocktail: Begin by bruleeing the pear slices. Sprinkle with the remaining 1 tablespoon of sugar. Using a torch, melt the sugar until it is golden and bubbly. Allow to cool slightly.
- While the slices cool, fill a cocktail shaker with ice. Add the rum, lemon juice, and simple
syrup and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Strain the mixture into a cocktail glass and garnish with a bruleed pear slice. Serve.