Savor What's Left of Summer With This Caprese Cocktail
With gin, basil simple syrup, and fresh lemon juice, it's hard to go wrong with With Food and Love's savory caprese cocktail. Garnish the cocktail with cherry tomatoes, a ball of mozzarella cheese, and a little balsamic glaze for the full caprese experience.
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- fresh lemons
- club soda or sparkling water
- cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar glaze
- ciliegine mozzarella cheese
- In a sauce pan, bring water and sugar to a boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Put your simple syrup in a heat proof jar and cool completely in the fridge. This is important because syrup that is too hot will brown the basil.
- In a blender, whiz together the simple syrup and basil leaves until finely chopped. Run the mixture through a strainer. Pour into a container and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with ice. Pour in 2 ounces of gin, 1 ounce basil infused simple syrup and juice from 1/2 lemon. Pour the contents of the shaker into a collins glass filled with ice. Give it a gentle stir and top with club soda.
- On a skewer, place two cherry tomatoes and a ciliegine as garnish. Drizzle some balsamic over the top of the drink and garnish and serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.