Charleston: The Ultimate Local's Guide
- 2 generous handfuls of fresh basil leaves
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- fresh lemons
- club soda or sparkling water
- cherry tomatoes
- balsamic vinegar glaze
- ciliegine mozzarella cheese
- In a sauce pan, bring water and sugar to a boil until sugar is completely dissolved. Put your simple syrup in a heat proof jar and cool completely in the fridge. This is important because syrup that is too hot will brown the basil.
- In a blender, whiz together the simple syrup and basil leaves until finely chopped. Run the mixture through a strainer. Pour into a container and set aside.
- Fill a shaker with ice. Pour in 2 ounces of gin, 1 ounce basil infused simple syrup and juice from 1/2 lemon. Pour the contents of the shaker into a collins glass filled with ice. Give it a gentle stir and top with club soda.
- On a skewer, place two cherry tomatoes and a ciliegine as garnish. Drizzle some balsamic over the top of the drink and garnish and serve.