It's Worth Getting Sloppy For This Grilled Cheese Taco
Carne Asada Latkes
Total Time: 35 minutes
Yield: 4 large tacos
- ½ of a medium red onion, peeled
- ½ cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 medium jalapeño
- 1 large egg, whisked
- 2 medium Russet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 3 medium avocados
- 3 tablespoons minced white onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- ½ teaspoon salt plus more for seasoning
- 12 ounces skirt steak or flap meat
- ½ cup finely crumbled queso fresco
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Extra limes and cilantro for serving
Directions:To make the latkes:
1. Shred the potatoes using the largest holes on a box grater. Then use either a kitchen towel or a large cheesecloth to wring out as much moisture as possible. Place dried out potato shreds in a large mixing bowl.
2. Using the smaller holes on the box grater, grate your red onion and half of the jalapeño. Wring out the mixture using a kitchen towel or cheesecloth and add to the shredded potatoes along with the egg and cheddar cheese.
3. Heat a large skillet on medium high and fill it with a half-inch of vegetable oil. When the oil starts to shimmer and move freely, form ¼ of your potato mixture into a disc and gently slide it into the pan. Work in batches and make sure to not overcrowd the pan. Let each latke fry for about 4 or 5 minutes, or until golden brown, on one side before flipping and continue to cook for about 3 minutes on the other side. Let drain on a bed of paper towels.
To make the guacamole:
1. Slice your avocados in half lengthwise, remove the pit, then use a spoon to scoop the flesh into a bowl. Mince the remain half of the jalapeño and add to the avocado along with the minced white onion, chopped cilantro, lime juice, and the salt, and mash with a spoon until evenly combined. This is called guacamole. You may have heard of it.
To make the carne asada:
1. Season up your skirt steak liberally with salt and pepper.
2. Heat a heavy-bottomed skillet on high heat with a tablespoon of vegetable oil, and when the pan starts smoking, drop in your skirt steak. Sear on each side for 3 minutes, then let the meat rest on a cutting board for 5 minutes before slicing into ½-inch cubes.
To assemble the latke tacos:
1. Place a mound of steak onto each latke.
2. Top with a spoonful of guacamole and queso fresco, then garnish with a lime wedge and a sprig of cilantro. Make sure to do that delicately though so you can make my bubbe (or any bubbe, really) proud.