Cheeseburger Onion Ring Bites Recipe
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pickle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 10-12 cubes cheddar cheese
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups panko breadcrumbs
- Ketchup and mustard for serving (optional)
- Preheat oil to 350℉ in a deep fryer or heavy-bottomed pot fitted with an oil thermometer.
- Slice onions crosswise into 1-inch rounds, discard centers and peels, separate rings and lay them flat on a cutting board.
- In a medium bowl, add beef, pickle, salt, and pepper; mix with your hands until just combined. Press beef into each onion ring, filling them halfway. Stick a cube of cheese in the center of each ring, fill the rest of the way with more beef. Level them off so the sides are flat.
- Place flour in one shallow bowl, eggs in another, and panko in another. Dredge patties in the flour, then eggs, then panko, coating thoroughly.
- Fry 2-3 at a time for 4 minutes, flipping them halfway. Transfer to a wire rack to drain. Serve immediately with ketchup and mustard.