Spinach and Artichoke Dip Pizza, the Ultimate Party Appetizer
Cheeseburger Onion Rings
- 2 quarts vegetable oil, to fry
- 2 medium yellow onions
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 pickle, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 block Cheddar cheese, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups flour
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 4 cups Panko breadcrumbs
- Ketchup, to top
- Yellow mustard, to top
- In a deep fryer or thick-walled, heavy-bottomed pot, preheat the vegetable oil to 360°F.
- Slice the onions crosswise into 1-inch rounds. Discard centers and peels, and separate rings. Lay them flat on a cutting board.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the beef, pickle, salt, and pepper. Knead with your hands until well-mixed.
- Press the beef mixture into each onion ring, filling them halfway. Stick a cube of Cheddar cheese into the center of each ring, and fill the remaining space with more beef. Level it off so the sides are flat.
- Place the flour in one shallow bowl, the eggs in another, and breadcrumbs in another. Dredge the onion patties first in the flour, then the eggs, then the breadcrumbs. Repeat once more to double-coat each one.
- Fry the onion rings in batches of 4, for approximately 8 minutes, flipping them over halfway. Transfer them to a wire rack to paper towel-lined plate to drain out any excess oil.
- Top with ketchup and mustard. Serve.