These Chicken Pops with Lacquered Red Sauce are Finger Lickin' Good
No BBQ is complete without chicken drumsticks, and with the addition of this sweet and sticky lacquered red sauce, BBQTricks' chicken pops will take your BBQ to the next level. Made with plum jam, red pepper flakes, brown sugar, and garlic, these pops are worth getting your hands dirty.
Chicken Pops with Lacquered Red Sauce
Yield: 12 drumsticks
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- ¾ of a 16 oz jar of plum jam
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- salt & pepper to taste (about 1 tsp)
- Make the lacquered red sauce first. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and remove from heat after reaching a boil. Set aside.
- Cut the skin around the “bone” end of the leg. Stretch skin as much as possible on and over the meat of the drumsticks.
- Then, using a clean needle nose pliers, pluck the tendons from each leg. The tendons will look like small white laces and can be stubborn to remove.
- Sprinkle each leg over and under the skin with salt and pepper and head to the grill.
- Grill your drumsticks. Once done, lather the drumsticks in the red sauce. Place drumsticks back on the grill. Remove from grill and pour more sauce onto the drumsticks.
- Serve and enjoy!