Chicken Pops with Lacquered Red Sauce
Yield: 12 drumsticks
- 12 chicken drumsticks
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pepper
- ¾ of a 16 oz jar of plum jam
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 Tbsp brown sugar
- 1 Tbsp minced onion
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- salt & pepper to taste (about 1 tsp)
- Make the lacquered red sauce first. Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan and remove from heat after reaching a boil. Set aside.
- Cut the skin around the “bone” end of the leg. Stretch skin as much as possible on and over the meat of the drumsticks.
- Then, using a clean needle nose pliers, pluck the tendons from each leg. The tendons will look like small white laces and can be stubborn to remove.
- Sprinkle each leg over and under the skin with salt and pepper and head to the grill.
- Grill your drumsticks. Once done, lather the drumsticks in the red sauce. Place drumsticks back on the grill. Remove from grill and pour more sauce onto the drumsticks.
- Serve and enjoy!