Yield: 2 cocktails
- 1 pint cherries, pitted
- 4 ounces rye whiskey, divided
- 3 cups cola, such as Pepsi or Coca Cola
- ½ ounce lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- Combine the cherries, 1 ounce rye whiskey, and 1 cup cola in a bowl. Cover and let chill.
- Let the remaining cola flatten, and freeze it in an ice cube tray.
- To make the cocktail, place 5 cherries and 1 ounce of the rye-cola mixture into an old fashioned glass. Muddle the cherries.
- In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine 1½ ounces rye whiskey and ¼ ounce lemon juice. Shake vigorously until well-chilled.
- Strain the mixture into the cocktail glass with the muddled cherries, and add 4-5 of the cola ice cubes.