You Can Now Get Artisanal Twinkies Delivered to Your Door in NYC
Mexican Coke Churros Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 8 cups
- 2 (12-ounce) bottles Mexican Coca-Cola
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3 1/4 cups Bisquick mix
- Deep-fat fryer or 3-quart Dutch oven fitted with a deep-fat thermometer
- Pastry bag (or gallon-size Ziploc bag with a corner cut off) fitted with a 1/4-inch star tip
- Heat Mexican Coca-Cola in a small saucepan over high heat until boiling. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until reduced to 1 cup, about 30 minutes. Measure out exactly 1 cup of the reduced cola and stir in the vanilla.
- Heat oil to 375°F in a deep-fat fryer.
- In a small bowl, mix together sugar and cinnamon; set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together Bisquick and cola until it forms a sticky dough.
- Transfer dough to a pastry bag fitted with a 1/4-inch star tip. Over the hot oil, pipe out 1 inch of dough, cut it with scissors, and carefully release into the oil. Fry until golden brown, turning frequently, about 2 minutes. Remove from oil, drain on paper towels and immediately transfer to the cinnamon-sugar mixture; toss to coat.
- Serve with more Mexican Coke, obviously.