The Crunchwrap Is Now Breakfast-ified
Disco Taquitos Recipe
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- 1 pound cooked chicken breast, shredded
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 24 6-inch corn tortillas
- 5 slices mozzarella cheese
- Wooden toothpicks
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Heat oil to 350℉ in a deep fryer or heavy pot fitted with an oil thermometer.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, Monterey Jack cheese, salsa, and salt.
- Quickly dunk the tortillas into the hot oil for a few seconds and remove with tongs or a slotted spoon. Stack on a plate or cutting board and let cool enough to handle.
- Scoop 1 tablespoon of the chicken filling and form it into a line across the center of a tortilla. Roll it up, not unlike a blunt, and stick a toothpick through the center to keep it tight. Repeat until you have 24 taquitos.
- Fry taquitos in batches until golden brown, about 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate to drain; remove toothpicks.
- Place mozzarella on top of taquitos while they’re hot so it melts.
- In the meantime, make the gravy. Melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Whisk in flour and cook for 1 minute. Slowly stir in broth. Add salt and pepper. Cook, stirring constantly, until thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour gravy over the melted cheese and serve immediately.