McDonald's Is Giving Away A Diamond-Studded Big Mac Ring
In-N-Out Animal Style Fries Recipe
Total Time: 1 hour
Yield: 2 servings (about 3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil, plus 1 quart for frying
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces frozen regular-cut fries
- ⅓ cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon sweet pickle relish
- ½ teaspoon yellow mustard
- ½ teaspoon white vinegar
- ¼ teaspoon sugar
- 2 slices American cheese
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add onion and salt, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, about 30 minutes. If the onions brown too quickly, reduce the heat to low.
- Uncover, increase the heat to medium-high and continue to cook, stirring often, until caramelized, about 8 minutes. Add ½ cup water to the skillet, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Simmer, stirring, until the water evaporates, about 2 more minutes; transfer to a bowl and set aside.
- Preheat 1 quart vegetable oil to 375℉ in a deep fryer or heavy pot fitted with an oil thermometer. Fry French fries until deeply golden and very crispy (you want to overcook them a little), about 15 minutes.
- While the fries cook, mix together mayonnaise, ketchup, relish, mustard, vinegar, and sugar in a bowl; set aside.
- Drain and plate the hot fries and place cheese directly over fries, top with caramelized onions, and a generous smothering of the sauce.