DIY White Castle Sliders: The Definitive Recipe
Munchies got you down? Leave the adventures to Harold and Kumar, and try this recipe for homemade White Castle burgers instead. With the help of BBQTricks, we broke down how to make the iconic sliders, from the square shape of the beef patty to the signature dehydrated onion trick. Combined with a flavor boost from freshly made firecracker ketchup, these beauties are as close as you can get to the real thing itself without leaving the house. They're great as an appetizer (providing you're willing to share) or as an individual feast, should your munchies demand it (hey, we won't judge. Live your best life!).
Homemade White Castle Burgers
Total Time: 1 hour, 10 minutes
- 1 pound ground beef
- ½ cup dehydrated onions
- 1 cup warm water
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 12 slices American cheese
- 12 dill pickles, sliced
- 12 small slider buns
- Mustard, to garnish
- ½ cup ketchup
- ½ cup creamy French dressing
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon spicy horseradish sauce
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 1½ teaspoons cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic salt
- On a parchment paper-lined work space, roll out the ground beef until approximately ¼ inch thick. Cut into 3x3 inch squares, and use a straw or wooden dowel to put 5 small holes in each one (this can be done several days in advance, if desired). Set the patties on a tray and freeze them for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Place the dehydrated onions in a cup of warm water to reconstitute them.
- Make The Firecracker Ketchup: In a small pot, combine the creamy French dressing, horseradish, garlic salt, brown sugar, cayenne pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and ketchup. Stir well, set aside, and chill until ready to serve.
- Bring grill to medium heat. Using a cast iron pan or skillet, spread the hydrated onions out along the pan and add the frozen meat patties. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Place a bun half on each slider and grill for approximately 5 to 6 minutes while letting the other bun steam. Flip each patty once and top with cheese.
- Add the mustard, pickles, and firecracker ketchup to each patty. Top with the remaining steamed buns, and serve.