Tropical Donut Fries? Tropical Donut Fries!
You could head out to your favorite local donut shop, pick out the most colorful confection behind the glass and be on your merry way, but why not make something just as delicious and way more fun to eat? All it takes is a can of biscuits and some fresh tropical fruits (and lots of sugar and oil of course). Food Steez brings us this bright and simple recipe, the perfect compliment to your breakfast burger.
Tropical Donut Fries
- 1 sleeve Pillsbury Grands Homestyle Biscuits (48oz)
- 1 bottle vegetable oil (48oz)
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted to remove any lumps 8 tbsp. milk
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 small apricots
- 1 dragonfruit (red center)
- For the Glaze: place the sugar in a medium bowl and slowly stir in the milk and vanilla, a little at a time, to make a smooth, pourable glaze.
- Cut up apricot and blend until smooth in blender. Repeat same process for dragonfruit.
- Separate glaze into two bowls. Add 6-10 tablespoons of apricot juice to one of the bowls and 6-10 tablespoons of dragonfruit juice in the other. Mix thoroughly and add more to taste.
- For the Donuts: in a medium sized pot, empty a full container of vegetable oil. Attach a candy thermometer to the size of the pot. Heat oil over medium heat until it reach 360-375° F. Turn your heat down slightly to prevent the oil from getting too hot. Use extreme caution, oil will be very hot.
- Remove biscuits from container and cut into fourths lengthwise. With your hands, roll each cutting into a long string, about the thickness of a pencil. Cut in half if necessary.
- Once oil is heated, slowly drop biscuits into oil. Bake for about 20-30 second a side until golden brown. Remove with a pair of tongs and set on a paper towel lined plate to drain the excess oil. When finished deep frying, leave your candy thermometer in the oil until it is completely cooled.
- Place all donut fries on a plate. Top with both dragonfruit and apricot glazes. Add fruit if desired.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.