This Himalayan Salt Block is the Perfect Hack for Aspiring Cooks
Pumpkin Meringue Pie with Cap'n Crunch Crust
Total Time: 1 hour 45 minutes
Yield: Serves 8
- Food processor (optional)
- Stand mixer (optional)
- 9-inch pie pan
- 10.1-ounce box Cap'n Crunch
- 8 tablespoons melted salted butter
- 15-ounce can unsweetened pumpkin puree
- 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 whole eggs
- 6 egg whites
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup white sugar
Directions:To make the crust:
1) Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Dump the entire 10.1-ounce box of Cap'n Crunch into a food processor. Let it run on high for 30 seconds until the cereal turns into a fine powder. (If you don't have a food processor, put the cereal in a large bag and beat it with a blunt object until it turns to dust.)
2) Measure out 2 cups of the crushed cereal and reserve the rest for the filling and decorating. Put the cereal in a large mixing bowl with your melted butter. Mix with a spoon until it looks like wet sand. Spray a 9-inch pie pan down with nonstick spray then press the butter and cereal mixture evenly around the bottom of the pan and all the way up the sides. Place the pan in the freezer for 15 minutes.
To make the filling:
1) In a large mixing bowl, combine your pumpkin puree, condensed milk, eggs, cinnamon, cardamom, and an additional 2 tablespoons of Cap'n Crunch dust. Then stir until it's combined and smooth.
2) Take the crust out of the freezer, pour in your pie filling mixture, and spread to make sure it's level and flush against the sides of the crust. Throw it in the oven for about 35-45 minutes (insert a toothpick into the middle at 35 minutes, and if it doesn't come out clean, bake for an additional 10 minutes), then remove from the oven.
To make the meringue:
1) Crank the oven up to 425 degrees. Put your egg whites and cream of tartar in a stand mixer with a balloon whisk attached, then let run on high until the whites begin to stiffen into firm peaks, about 1 minute. Keep the mixer going and gradually add in your sugar, ¼ cup at a time, until the mixture looks like old-timey shaving cream, about 3 minutes.
2) Scoop all the meringue on top of the pie and use a spoonula (or a regular spoon if you aren't cool enough to own something called a spoonula) to spread the mixture in a slightly irregular dome shape.
3) Sprinkle an additional 2 tablespoons of Cap'n Crunch dust on top for extra color and Cap'n-y greatness. Bake for 10 minutes at 425 until the meringue browns, then remove, let rest for at least half an hour, slice, and go to town like the Pilgrims would have wanted you to, or something.