Buffalo Chicken Beer Cheese Fondue Fries Are Like an Edible Sports Bar
French Onion Soup Burger
Yield: 4 burgers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 block Gruyere cheese, divided
- 3 medium onions
- 9 wooden skewers
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 loaf French bread
- Olive oil
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Insert 3 wooden skewers into each whole peeled onion, evenly spaced for thick slices. Slice onions between skewers to yield 3 onion lollipops per onion, and place in a container for marinating.
- Stir together soy sauce and liquid smoke. Pour over onions and set aside.
- Break up lumps in uncooked ground beef and stir in beef base, chives, black pepper and garlic. Mix well and form into 8 small patties. Cut 4 small blocks off Gruyere cheese and place a block on 4 of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal.
- Shave 1 cup additional Gruyere cheese and set aside. Cut 8 thick slices of the French bread to serve as buns, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill burgers on direct heat approximately 8 minutes per side until cooked through, turning once or twice.
- Grill onion lollipops on direct heat for about 5 minutes each, and grill French bread on indirect heat for 1-2 minutes per side (watch bread carefully). Near the end of grilling the burgers, top each patty with the shaved cheese and cover with a slice of provolone to melt.
- Build cheesy French onion soup burger on a slice of thick grilled bread and top with grilled onion lollipop and remaining French bread slice. Serve with additional onion lollipop.