This French Onion Soup-Turned-Burger Is Damn Tasty
French onion soup is arguably the greatest soup in all the land. Take all those great smoky, cheesy flavors and transform the soup into a burger you won't soon forget. BBQTricks stuffs a seasoned beef patty with gruyere, tops it with more, grills it alongside a soy and liquid smoke-marinated onion, and stacks it all on crusty slices of bread. We'll do the same, merci beaucoup.
French Onion Soup Burger
Yield: 4 burgers
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon Better Than Bouillon Beef Base
- 1 teaspoon chives
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 block Gruyere cheese, divided
- 3 medium onions
- 9 wooden skewers
- ½ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 1 loaf French bread
- Olive oil
- 4 slices Provolone cheese
- Preheat grill to medium high.
- Insert 3 wooden skewers into each whole peeled onion, evenly spaced for thick slices. Slice onions between skewers to yield 3 onion lollipops per onion, and place in a container for marinating.
- Stir together soy sauce and liquid smoke. Pour over onions and set aside.
- Break up lumps in uncooked ground beef and stir in beef base, chives, black pepper and garlic. Mix well and form into 8 small patties. Cut 4 small blocks off Gruyere cheese and place a block on 4 of the patties. Top with remaining patties and seal.
- Shave 1 cup additional Gruyere cheese and set aside. Cut 8 thick slices of the French bread to serve as buns, and drizzle with olive oil.
- Grill burgers on direct heat approximately 8 minutes per side until cooked through, turning once or twice.
- Grill onion lollipops on direct heat for about 5 minutes each, and grill French bread on indirect heat for 1-2 minutes per side (watch bread carefully). Near the end of grilling the burgers, top each patty with the shaved cheese and cover with a slice of provolone to melt.
- Build cheesy French onion soup burger on a slice of thick grilled bread and top with grilled onion lollipop and remaining French bread slice. Serve with additional onion lollipop.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.