Go Camping in the Comfort of Your Own Home With S'mores Dip
Waffle-Crusted Chicken and Waffles Recipe
Total Time: 2 hours, 30 minutes
Yield: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 12 (about 3lbs) whole chicken wings
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons baking powder
- 4 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 2/3 cups milk
- 3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 egg yolk
- 3/4 cup water
- 6.5-inch round waffle iron
- Deep-fat fryer or 3-quart Dutch oven fitted with an oil thermometer
- In a small bowl combine salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, poultry seasoning, and garlic powder. Place wings in a shallow dish. Sprinkle all sides evenly with the seasoning. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for 1 hour.
- Preheat waffle iron.
- In a medium bowl, combine flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt for the waffles. In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs with an electric hand mixer until fluffy. Stir in oil, milk, and vanilla. Add dry ingredients and mix just until smooth.
- Pour a 1/2 cup of the mixture onto the hot waffle iron and cook until golden brown, following the manufacturer's instructions for timing. Transfer to a wire rack to cool and repeat until you have six waffles. Cover remaining batter and chill it in the fridge.
- Heat oil to 300°F in a deep fryer or Dutch oven fitted with an oil thermometer.
- Pulse cooled waffles in a food processor until crumbly but still chunky. Transfer to a shallow dish or tray.
- Whisk together all the batter ingredients in a medium-size bowl.
- Dredge chicken wings in the batter, then in the waffle crumbs to coat. Place wings three at a time into the hot oil and cook for 8 to 10 minutes, turning occasionally, until golden brown. Remove to a paper towel-lined tray. Make sure oil returns to temperature before adding the next batch.
- While the last batch cooks, make the remaining waffles. You should have enough batter for three waffles. Cut each waffle into quarters.
- Serve each plate with three waffle quarters, three pieces of fried chicken, and a liberal drizzle of maple syrup.