After all the garbage we've been eating this summer, BBQTricks is giving us a lighter dessert alternative. Grill up these fresh fruit kebabs that are basted with a rum, brown sugar, and orange juice mixture. Serve 'em alongside some homemade vanilla bean ice cream for a totally customizable dessert that's not totally bad for you.
Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Homemade Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
- 1 ½ cup whole milk
- 1 and 1/8 cup powdered sugar
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 1 vanilla bean
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1 red dragon fruit
- 2 kiwi fruit
- 2 apricots
- 1 pineapple
- 1 peach
- 8 bamboo skewers
- 2 tablespoons light oil
- ½ cup orange juice
- ½ cup honey liqueur (or dark rum)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- mint for garnish
- To make the ice cream, whisk together the milk, powdered sugar, heavy cream, and vanilla bean. Then pour the mixture into an ice cream maker until it reaches the right consistency.
- Peel and cube fruit in 1 to ½ inch cubes. Double skewer with water soaked skewers (to hinder sticks from burning). Double skewers will allow for easier turning on the grill.
- Brush with lemon juice to add brightness and preserve color until grill time.
- Brush oil lightly on fruit to minimize sticking, and grill over high heat until lightly charred.
- Flip and baste with rum, brown sugar, and orange juice mixture. Garnish with mint. Serve with ice cream.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.