The History of the Bloody Mary
Total Time: 20 minutes
Yield: 1 cocktail
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1 ounce homemade heirloom tomato juice
- ¼ cup water (optional)
- ¼ ounce lemon juice
- ¼ ounce lime juice
- 1 split jalapeño
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup water
- 2 cucumber slices, to garnish
- 1-2 cherry tomatoes, to garnish
- Fresh cracked black pepper, to garnish
- To make the homemade heirloom tomato juice, clean and chop 2 heirloom tomatoes, removing the stems. Place them in a food processor, adding ¼ cup of water if necessary to assist in blending. Blend until smooth. Using cheesecloth, separate the juice from the pulp. Store in a clean, sealable container.
- To make the jalapeño simple syrup, combine 1 split jalapeño, 1 cup sugar, and 1 cup water in a medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Remove from heat and allow to cool. Strain out the peels and place in a clean sealable container.
- To make the cocktail, combine the vodka, heirloom tomato juice, lemon juice, lime juice, and jalapeño simple syrup in a cocktail shaker filled with ice. Shake vigorously, and strain the mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a skewer of cherry tomatoes flanked by 2 cucumber slices on either side. Add fresh cracked black pepper to taste, and serve.