These Onion Rings Are Stuffed With Cheeseburgers
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups grilled corn (or regular corn kernels, if desired)
- Vegetable oil or nonstick spray
- ⅔ cup ground beef and chorizo (2 parts beef, 1 part chorizo)
- ⅓ cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
Directions:Make the patty:
- In a large bowl, mix 2 parts ground beef with 1 part ground chorizo.
- Remove a small amount of the meat, roll into a ball, and flatten onto parchment paper. Stuff shredded cheese in the center of the patty and cover with another layer of meat, pressing the edges to form a seal.
- Season with salt and grill over medium-high heat.
Make the "buns":
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Add milk and stir thoroughly until the mixture thickens. Add grilled corn, stirring until all kernels are evenly coated.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on the grill over medium-high heat; add vegetable oil to the pan.
- Scoop the corn mixture into the skillet, gently pressing to flatten. Use a circular cutting mold for perfect “buns.”
- Cook for 5 minutes or until browned, flip and repeat.
- Place cooked patty on corn fritter. Dress with fresh avocado, salsa, and sour cream. Top with another corn fritter.