A Chorizo Burger With Corn Fritter Buns Is the Burger You Didn't Know You Needed
Do you like grilled corn? How about spicy chorizo? We're assuming you're into cheese, too (apologies to the lactose intolerant), which means that this easy recipe by Ballistic BBQ will probably pique your interest. It's a one-stop shop for our favorite grilled foods and spicy Tex-Mex flavors in one convenient, hand-held package. How efficient, right? Watch the video to see how it's done.
- ⅓ cup yellow cornmeal
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt (or more to taste)
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro
- ⅓ cup milk
- 2 cups grilled corn (or regular corn kernels, if desired)
- Vegetable oil or nonstick spray
- ⅔ cup ground beef and chorizo (2 parts beef, 1 part chorizo)
- ⅓ cup shredded Oaxaca cheese
- In a large bowl, mix 2 parts ground beef with 1 part ground chorizo.
- Remove a small amount of the meat, roll into a ball, and flatten onto parchment paper. Stuff shredded cheese in the center of the patty and cover with another layer of meat, pressing the edges to form a seal.
- Season with salt and grill over medium-high heat.
Make the "buns":
- In a large bowl, whisk together the cornmeal, flour, baking powder, salt, pepper, and cilantro. Add milk and stir thoroughly until the mixture thickens. Add grilled corn, stirring until all kernels are evenly coated.
- Heat a skillet or griddle on the grill over medium-high heat; add vegetable oil to the pan.
- Scoop the corn mixture into the skillet, gently pressing to flatten. Use a circular cutting mold for perfect “buns.”
- Cook for 5 minutes or until browned, flip and repeat.
- Place cooked patty on corn fritter. Dress with fresh avocado, salsa, and sour cream. Top with another corn fritter.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.