Maple, Bacon, Chicken & Waffle Wings
- 1lb chicken wings
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1½ cups flour
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon chipotle chili pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- Canola oil, for frying
- Maple syrup, to serve
- Crispy bacon bits, to garnish
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups flour
- 1¾ cups milk
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 pinch salt
Directions:Fried Chicken Instructions:
- Heat approximately 1in of canola oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. To test if the oil is hot enough to begin frying, add a pinch of flour to the pot (it should sizzle). If using a culinary thermometer, it should read between 350°F and 375°F.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the paprika, onion powder, chili pepper, salt, pepper, and flour.
- Add the chicken pieces in one at a time by dipping each in the buttermilk, dredging it in the flour mixture. Repeat until all the wings are used.
- Carefully place the wings in the fryer oil and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until lightly browned and crispy. Try not to overcrowd the chicken and use tongs to turn each piece.
- Place the wings on a baking rack to cool, and set aside.
Waffle Batter Instructions:
- Combine two eggs in a mixing bowl and whisk thoroughly. Add the flour, milk, vegetable oil, sugar, baking powder, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt, and continue whisking. The mixture should be slightly clumpy.
- Heat the waffle iron and mist it with non-stick spray. Place 2-3 tablespoons of batter on the front half of the iron.
- Take the fried chicken drumsticks and dip each into the waffle batter. Place one drumstick down on front left corner of the waffle iron and another on the front right. Press down firmly and hold each for 3-4 minutes until the batter is cooked through (it should look golden brown around the chicken). Repeat until all of the drumsticks have been used.
- Sprinkle with bacon bits and serve with maple syrup on the side.