Chicago Deep Dish: Pizza or Casserole?
Tater Tot-Crusted Mozzarella Sticks Recipe
Total Time: 25 minutes, plus freezing time
Yield: 24 sticks
- 1 pound frozen tater tots, thawed
- 1 cup grated Parmesan
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 mozzarella string-cheese sticks, halved crosswise
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 2 quarts vegetable oil
- ½ cup marinara sauce, for serving
- Break up tater tots in a large bowl with a wooden spoon. Stir in Parmesan and salt. Dip cheese sticks in flour to coat completely, dredge in egg, flour again, then tater tot mixture. Pat to adhere and coat completely. Place the cheese sticks on a baking sheet. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
- Heat oil in a deep fryer or large frying pan over medium heat to 350℉. Working in batches, fry the cheese sticks until golden brown, about 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain.
- Serve hot with marinara sauce.