Honey-Garlic Crunch Chicken Tender Sandwich
Yield: 1 sandwich
- ½ pound boneless skinless chicken tenders
- 2 cups flour
- ½ cup panko bread crumbs
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1½ tablespoons vegetable oil
- Poppyseed bun
- 3 tablespoons green onion, chopped
- Canola oil, for frying
- ½ cup honey
- 4 tablespoons soy sauce
- 4 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon finely diced ginger
- ½ teaspoon chili flakes
- ⅓ cup water
- ¼ cup unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- ½ small green cabbage head, shredded
- ½ small purple cabbage head, shredded
- 4 medium carrots, julienned
- ⅓ cup green onion, chopped
- In a deep, thick-walled pot, heat 2-3 inches of canola oil to 375°F.
Make the slaw:
- In a food processor, combine the rice vinegar, mayonnaise, lemon juice, ginger, salt, pepper, and sugar. Blitz until completely smooth and carefully add the vegetable oil in a slow and steady stream. Remove and place the mixture in a large bowl.
- Add the green and purple cabbage, carrots, and green onions to the bowl. Toss to coat thoroughly with the dressing, and refrigerate to serve slightly chilled (or at room temperature, if desired).
- Make the honey-garlic sauce:
- Combine the sauce ingredients in a small pan. Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat. Simmer for approximately 15 minutes or until thick.
Make the crunchy chicken tenders:
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, panko breadcrumbs, and seasonings. Mix well and set aside. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs, 3 tablespoons of water, and 1½ tablespoons of vegetable oil.
- Dip each piece of chicken in the egg mixture and then the flour. Dip it into the egg a second time and then the flour again to double coat it. Gently press the flour into the chicken, and shake off any excess. Repeat with remaining tenders and set aside.
- Fry the chicken tenders until crispy and cooked through (approximately 6-8 minutes). Place the tenders on a wire rack or a paper towel-lined plate to drain excess oil).
- Place the cooked chicken in a large bowl. Pour the warm honey-garlic sauce over and toss to coat thoroughly.
To build the sandwich:
- Place sauce-coated chicken tenders on the bottom bun. Sprinkle with green onion and top with 1 cup of the Asian slaw. Serve immediately.