This Hot Buttered Rum Cider Makes Us Feel All Warm and Fuzzy
We're getting all hot and buttered for Punch Drink's hot buttered rum cider, made with Haitian rum, homemade compound butter, mulled apple cider, and clove studded oranges. The extra effort is worth it for all the rich spiciness that'll warm you right up.
Hot Buttered Rum Cider
- 1 1/2 ounce aged Haitian rum
- 1 tablespoon spiced compound butter:
- salted butter
- brown sugar
- ground cinnamon
- ground ginger
- 6 ounces mulled apple cider:
- unfiltered apple juice
- cinnamon stick
- star anise
- Add rum, mulled cider and compound butter into a sauce pan and heat until the butter has dissolved and the liquid is steaming.
- Pour into a heat proof mug.
- Garnish with a cinnamon stick, star anise and a disc of orange peel studded with a clove.
- To make mulled apple cider, add a high-quality, unfiltered apple juice to a pot with the skin of an orange studded with the clove, cinnamon stick, and star anise. Let simmer for 30 minutes. Funnel into a clean glass bottle and refrigerate until ready to use.
- To make spiced compound butter, soften and cream 8 ounces of unsalted butter with a paddle attachment in a mixing bowl. Slowly add 2 ounces of brown sugar, 1/8 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and allspice, a pinch of ground ginger, cloves, and kosher salt. Scrape the sides to ensure that all of the spices are blended. Roll the butter into a log and wrap it in wax paper. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.