Irish Hazelnut Cream Is the Boozy Winter Warmer You Needed
Dead Man's Mai Tai
- 1½ ounces coconut rum
- ½ ounce lime juice
- 2 ounces cinnamon simple syrup (1 cup water, 1 cup sugar, 5 broken cinnamon sticks)
- 2 ounces apple juice concentrate
- 12 ounces sparkling water or seltzer
- ½ ounce dark rum, to float
- 3 dashes Angostura bitters
- Apple slices, to garnish
- Make the cinnamon simple syrup: In a small pot, combine the water and the broken cinnamon sticks. Heat to a boil and take it off the stove. Strain the mixture through a fine-mesh strainer to extract the solids, measure the remaining liquid by volume, and add an equivalent amount of sugar. Stir or shake until fully combined, and set aside.
- Make the cinnamon apple cider: In a Mason jar or other sealable container, combine 2 ounces of the cinnamon simple syrup, the apple juice concentrate, and sparkling water. Cover and gently agitate to combine.
- In a highball glass filled with ice, combine the coconut rum, lime juice, and sparkling cinnamon apple cider, leaving approximately 2 inches of room at the top of the glass.
- Float dark rum to the rim of the glass and add 3 dashes of Angostura bitters. Garnish with a sliced apple, and serve.