Take Your Taste Buds to Italy With This Salsiccia Burger Recipe
If you're unwilling to cough up the cash required for a flight to Italy, rest assured: You can still eat your wanderlust-related feelings with this salsiccia burger recipe by 0815BBQ. Pillage your grocer for some authentic Italian sausage, ciabatta, pancetta, mozzarella, and any other quintessentially Italian accoutréments you can fit in your shopping cart, and you're ready to go. Pro tip: Try pairing it with your favorite bottle of red wine (montepulciano, anyone?). Here's how it's done.
- 1.8 pounds Italian Salsiccia sausage
- 4-6 slices pancetta
- 4-6 slices buffalo mozzarella cheese
- 4 ciabatta rolls
- Cherry tomatoes, sliced
- Green and black seedless olives, sliced
- 3-4 teaspoons barbecue sauce
- Lettuce, to garnish
- Peel the casing off the sausage to free the meat within, and form it into a patty (approximately 3 links should make 1 patty).
- Freeze the patties for 1 hour.
- Heat the grill to 400°F.
- Slice the tomatoes and olives in half.
- Grill the patties over high, direct heat for 4 minutes on each side. Add the pancetta after you've flipped each one and grill for an additional 4 minutes before adding the mozzarella. Reduce the heat (or move the patties to indirect heat) and grill for another 15 minutes.
- Build the burger on toasted ciabatta by layering the barbecue sauce, lettuce, salsiccia patty, tomatoes, and olives. For bonus points, pair it with a glass of Montepulciano, and serve.
Sign up here for our daily Thrillist email, and get your fix of the best in food/drink/fun.